Latest infringement statistics
|Total reported airspace infringements||1162||1358|
|Airspace infringements reported December 2018||55|
|CTA (includes TMA and Airways)||812*||706|
|* 2017 CTA and CTR combined|
|Restricted/Prohibited/Danger Areas (Perm and Temp)||81||87|
Airspace infringements: 2018 statistics
Causal factor analysis of airspace infringements
Analysis of airspace infringement reports from 2017 has shown that that correct use of a moving map could have helped avoid 85% of airspace infringements.
Occurrence reports from private pilots were assessed against four key measures that could have helped prevent the infringement or reduced its impact on other air traffic or controllers:
- Use of moving maps with an airspace warning
- Use of a frequency monitoring code (FMC), also known as a listening squawk
- Recognition of/dealing with overload and distraction
- Better familiarity with aircraft and equipment
The report was carried out by a sub-group of the CAA’s Airspace Infringement Working Group, made up of three experienced General Aviation pilots.
- Read the full report: Causal Factor Analysis of Airspace Infringements 2017